Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Another Problem–What a Surprise!

Monday the doctor told us he was going to send a prescription to combat Mr. Fixit’s nausea to our pharmacy. We waited all day for a call telling us the prescription was ready. No call. Tuesday morning I went to the pharmacy to see if the order from the doctor had been received. It hadn’t been. I came home and called the doctor’s office. Of course, I had to talk to a machine instead of a person. No one called me back to acknowledge my call or to explain why the order hadn’t been sent.

Ben called and the receptionist said she would transfer his call to someone, and he said he wanted to speak with a real person, not someone’s voice mail. He found out they had sent in the order after my call.

We waited and waited and waited. I called the pharmacy in the afternoon. She said they had received the  order, but the insurance company wasn’t going to pay for it. I said, “How much is it?” I was planning to pay for it. After all, how much could a medicine to ease nausea be? Pepto and Kaopectate aren’t that expensive. She said, “$285.” After I rose from the floor and made a comment as to the exorbitant price, she said she would tell the doctor that the insurance had refused to pay. She said it is possible for the doctor to approach the insurance company to ask for reconsideration.

Here it is the next evening and Mr. Fixit still doesn’t have the medicine or even an indication of what is happening.

But the good news is his $5.00 bottle of Kaopectate is working fine. His nausea is almost totally gone. I have to find out if there is any conflict with any of his other meds, how much he can take daily, and how long he can take it.I’ll call again tomorrow and talk to the machine again. Maybe I’ll have an answer before our appointment in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment