Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Update

Mr. Fixit received the results of is latest scan and blood work. Everything looks terrific. His blood work showed no problem with kidney function. A good thing since he only has one now. His scan indicated no growth in any of the spots (that’s a technical term for you-know-what).  The doctor wants to keep him on the oral chemo for another six months just to be sure.

I asked the question the doctor must hear from every patient--Could Mr. Fixit be considered “cured?” He said, in essence, that “cured” was too strong a word because it could be that the problem is still there but is simply too small to see. Not very comforting, but I understand it.

He will continue to have bi-monthly blood work but no scans for a while.

Mr. Fixit is still a bit depressed. The only time he seems happy is when he is with our sons. He has been working with them quite a bit and it helps a lot. When he’s here at home he sits and stares into space. I’ve tried to get him to do little jobs around the house, but he doesn’t want to do  anything. He mows the yard; that’s about it.  I ask him to do other things once, and then let it go. I don’t want to nag. But, maybe I should nag a little just to get him off the couch or napping three times a day.

For me, every visit with the doctor causes me to be very thankful not only for the excellent care he is receiving, but also for this drug that apparently has saved his life. I am also thankful for the program that allows him to receive his drug. I know the consequences of not having this drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment