Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Intro to "Cancer 101"

Since December, 2013, my husband (Mr. Fixit) and I have been living with the spector of cancer. A large tumor was found in his kidney, and now the doctor say it present in both lungs. The last few months haven't been easy; I decided to write this journal so I could have a record of the progression, or the non-progression, of his disease.

I can only write from my own perspective. No one can know what's in another person's mind when he is facing what could be a tortuous path. I don't know his fears; I only know mine. I can't know his anger; I only know mine. I can't imagine what he's feeling at this time. My one hope is that the medication he has begun will stop the spread. The doctors seems optimistic.

It began December 20, 2013. He was complaining of back pain. He later developed nausea. That's when I suspected that he had a kidney stone. At the emergency room, a stone was found in the tube leading from the kidney to the bladder. They also found a large mass in his kidney. After a scan was done, a doctor came into the room where I was waiting. He had a big smile. I was sure at that moment there was nothing to worry about. He then said, "Your husband has cancer." He still had the big smile. Needless to say, I was not smiling. This was the first of several disturbing events since that night.

The kidney oncologist recommended removal of the kidney. As a preliminary step, a stent was placed around the stone. That was done December 24. He came home the same day. The removal of the kidney was planned for 2 weeks later, but it was postponed until the beginning of February because that was the first date available. During that time we had doctor visits, scans, lab tests, etc. It seemed like there was something to be done every day. That's not factual, but it seemed like it at the time.

During that time-frame there were several other little disturbing incidents. Happily, none of them could be lain at the feet of the doctors. Their staffs proved to be a little lax on the details, like sending us to a therapy session that was not necessary and side-stepping the truth when mistakes came up. It's call CYA. I don't care for it.

The kidney was removed and there was no spread in the abdomen. However, there was spread to the lungs. The doctors said that was the usual course of kidney cancer; it metastasizes to the lungs. Instead of chemotherapy, the doctor recommended an oral medication. The literature accompanying the medication described it as "chemotherapy." The doctor says that there was few side effects, but the literature suggests that all the side effects of regular chemo are possible.

He started his first dose today. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment